Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum


TALA Medical Donnie Fulks AS, originally uploaded by Donnie Fulks.
I recently visited this defunct asylum, located in Weston, West Virginia. I had wanted to visit for over a year...as long as they let me out at the end of the day!

The institution opened in 1864. By the 1950's 2400 patients resided there. In 1994 ithe state closed it. The main building ( there are several buildings to the large complex) is the largest cut stone building in the US. It is said to be the second largest such builing in theworld after the Kremlin.

It was recently privately purchased and is open as a tourist attraction. My I primary interest was in photography there. My friend, Don Rosenburger, leads the photo tours there a couple of times a year. Don did a fantastic job taking us to several buildings and pointing out various photo opportunities to explore.

Today's image was taken on the ground floor of the medical building. This was one of the last images I took during my visit there. My immediate thought was this would be a great BW scene.

My files are piling up, with many to process from this shoot. Hopefully I can share one or two more before I travel to the Smokie Mountains this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment