Monday, July 11, 2011

Green Silk Thread


4623-5-7 Green Silk Spools b nx 72dpi, originally uploaded by Donnie Fulks.
There are only a few spools of silk thread left in the factory. Perhaps thousands of empty spools stacked up (as seen in the background of today's picture), laying around and in large bins awaiting the next order that never came. So I knew I had to include at least one picture showing the mill's end product and purpose.

My last visit to the mill I had the pleasure to finally meet and shoot with Karen Messick, a fantastic photographer who's work I have followed for some time now. In one of her recent blog posts she recounts some of the fascinating history of the mill that I had not been able to track down: http://blog.karenlmessickphotography.com/2011/07/klots-throwing-mill-lonaconing-md.html#comment-form

No comments:

Post a Comment