Sunday, March 22, 2015

Capturing the Milky Way


Donna and I spent the weekend on the Outer Banks celebrating our 35th anniversary. Somehow my camera made the trip too.

I spent a couple of days, or more accurately nights, with Mark Buckler Photography chasing the Milky Way over local landmarks. Armed with some tips from Mark and a lot of luck with clearing clouds at critical times it has been a productive photography outing. Having read up on the topic before driving down it turned out to be less complicated than I feared.

I did have to rent a couple of fast, wide lenses as my wide lenses are f4. I used a Nikor 20mm f1.8 and a Tokina 16-28mm f2.8. Both worked very well. I wanted to try Tamron's new 15-30 f2.8 but did not as my RAW converter of choice, DxO Optics Pro, does not have the lens correction module for it yet.

One surprising, counter intuitive thing I discovered was I captured less noise at ISO 6400 than the general rule of thumb ISO 3200 with my D800 body. The extra stop of light gathering offset the noise that lives in the shadows of the darker capture, at least with my camera.

3 comments:

  1. Really amazing and beautiful photo. I like how the man made object is in tatters, but the Milky Way is forever.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Howard. I was told the pier is due for demolishion soon. I would liked to have had another night with it. I agree about the juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then it is really great you got the one night. An opportunity that won't exist too much longer!

    ReplyDelete