Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Snow at the Mill


_DSC0810_DxOpsBWnxsa 72dpi, originally uploaded by Donnie Fulks.

Naturally, the mill located in the town of Lonaconing, Maryland, experiences a bit more winter than Tidewater Virginia (where I live). Lonaconing is in western Maryland, in the mountains. Being we have had such a mild winter it was especially delightful to have some snow during my last visit just before Christmas.

I have read this region's economy had strong ties to the coal industry at the turn of the century when the mill was built and the mill's investors chose to locate here to tap the labor force already in place. Even with some heat in the building, it must have been a chilly place to work on a brisk winter's day.

One of my goals for this last trip was to capture some exterior images as the previous visits I had not done so. For this image, I used my usual mix of NIK and Topax filters, making the BW conversion with Silver Efex Pro. Then I blended in some Snap Art 3 to finish.

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to report that I got the JixiPix snow filter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow Daz works very well in a scene like this (although in this image the snow is as it was, unaltered). I'm sure, Sylvia, you will have fun with it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete