Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Yoke at High Noon


_DSC9298nx crop12x18 72dpi, originally uploaded by Donnie Fulks.

I'll be heading back to the Smokies for a workshop with Tony Sweet this weekend. I thought I would share a pic from my last trip there 2 years ago. This yoke was was hanging in a barn at Cable Mill. The shot was made by underexposing considerably and lighting the yoke with a gelled and snooted flash. The counter intuitive aspect of flash is that flash allows you to take away light in this manner. I won first place in a photo show with this one and the judges were shocked to learn how it was made. Another workshop participant, John Church, and I collaborated on this as we had just finished ready Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries book. Looking forward to going back to the Smoky National Park.

1 comment:

  1. Gelled and snooted? I almost sounds like you have a cold! But the photograph is on-so-warm.

    ReplyDelete